Saturday 7 March 2015

Pattern of the Weeeeeeeeeeeek - 3332


Baaaaaack to knitting again after a couple of weeks of mad crocheting. But if you see the jumper I was going to feature you'll understand....


had slight gauge issues. I'm planning to have that fixed and ready for next week's pattern of the week but in the meantime I'm gonna feature a pattern that we've had in for nearly three years I think. Inspiringly named 3332. 


It's the dress I'll be concentrating on. Now, you really do have to look past the styling on this one I think. Although, apparently gilets and faux fur are right on trend. Not my cuppa tea iykwim. Anyway, in the shop I try and buy 20% 'ugly' yarn. This means, for my money, brown... Brown is not my colour. I am coming round a little to it - especially the Harris in the Chunky Tweed... phwoar... But then it struck me that maybe I should be knitting shop samples in 20% 'ugly'. So, a brown dress. Yes?


It's brown and also, I've mostly hated myself in knitted dresses (it actually comes directly from trying on a brown dress once in Monsoon and it was HORRIFIC!) so, for me, this is 'ugly'. Not as in like 'omg, I'm gonna puke, get it away from me now', more like 'it's gonna look great on someone else...just not me...'. And I can indeed attest to the fact that since everybody's started noticing this dress in the corner over the last few months and I've seen it knitted numerous times it looks GREAT on! Some people shorten it - nobody's lengthened it - but everybody looks great. Imagine it with leggings and boots and maybe a denim jacket? Not in brown? Ahhhhh, that's so much better. Haha. Sorry for everybody that likes brown... It seems to suit those with a large bust (in comparison with their body) best and I've no idea why because it shouldn't given that it's such a high neck. Rules ain't rules apparently.

So the sizes start at 32" and end at 44" but there's a good 3" of ease there (which I'm probably going to talk about next week...) so it'll be suitable for those with a bust of up 50" I reckon, but probably not my very slim ladies unless you want to do some adjustments (which would be very easy). It's originally knitted for the Moorland Aran - which is gorgeous, and I love how it works with these big structural cables - but lots of people have used the Fashion Aran or the Grousemoor Aran which are both great for those on a budget and for those of us that like a brighter colour, the Moorland is very much a 'natural' range. If you're in the shop though, do look out for Shale colourway in the Moorland and it is an actual stunner - like a beige but with warm, almost pinkish undertones and a hint of grey. Would look stunning! Even if it is beige... Elizabeth likes it anyway... It uses standard 4.5mm and 5mm needles and a cable needle too.  

 Now, I've taken a photo of the stitches:

But you can't see what I'm trying to say, so I reckon it's time for some artwork. 

Clear as mud right? Well, I'm here with the first of two top tips for today. Two folks, I'm am spoiling you aren't I?!

So, the whole pattern is 24 rows, you do the cable on the 17th row and knit it in stocking stitch apart from that. The background is.... moss stitch... of sorts. I hesitate to name it because I've heard at least three variations of what it might be called but I'd tend towards double moss stitch. Essentially, two rows of a knit two purl two rib and then swap over so two rows of a purl two knit two rib. Yeah? Because the two rows of a stitch are much more identifiable than a one row standard moss stitch you can use this as a counter even if you're a beginner. So, the way that I worked it out was whenever I was on a right side I was changing the stitches over - knits for purls and purls for knits - and whenever I was on a wrong side I was working them as is. Then, I could easily count how many of these blocks I'd made since I'd last cabled to see when a cable was due again - 12 full blocks and you're onto a winner. Those blocks are shown on the artwork in the blue and green diamonds - can you see? You might even put a marker on the block that represents your full 24 rows because it's always difficult to decipher the exact moment when a cable has happened, pulling stitches well over stitches (which is all a cable is) is going to disturb the smooth running of them isn't it?

So I guess the first top tip, from one knitter to another, is try to do away with row counters and marks on paper as much as you can. Doesn't help you when you've got your knitting and forgotten you accoutrements does it? Just like in lace patterns, as we discussed here and here, there are often 'markers' in a pattern that you just need to be able to see to understand. Yes? 

And to start my next top tip, I ask of you just one small task, look back at this photo and tell me where my mistake is:

I've made it as big as possible. Look again. Still can't see it? 


It's right there on the neck. See? I forgot how to rib... apparently... My top tip is to relax! You do the neck bit last so it would be a really quick fix just to whip out a few rows, sort it and work back but I didn't notice it until I'd had it knitted for a year and literally nobody else has managed to point it out to me without me pointing it out first. And yet, if I'd have seen this when I was a beginner I'd have been SO upset with myself. I'm pretty convinced that the better you get at knitting the faster you make the mistakes, the easier you find it to fix them and the more able you are to determine if they even need fixing. There's really only a few ways to make a knit and purl stitch so once you've learned that you're as good as the rest of us. :)

And that's it. Once more for the google rankings: King Cole 3332.

I promise at least two, non pattern related blogs next week. This week has just been... tiring and busy from the start. I am looking forward to a day off. In two days. Ahhh the life of a YSO.

Love Eleanor. xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment