Wednesday 7 August 2013

More Blathering About Amy Singer. :)

So I promised to finish that blog post from yesterday today but also, I need to get the lessons sold so I need to have the sales-y bit at the front so I'm going to copy and paste. Sorry!

October the 3rd - 10am-1pm - Making the Next Monkey, Mr. Greenjeans or Mrs Beeton - How to get your designs published.

  • I know there are a lot of you who are wanting to move on to designing your own knitted bits and I think this will be perfect for you. Amy's going to talk to you about how to present your work - the best and worst things to do - the slant will be towards Knitty of course but the workshop will enable you to present your work professionally to a knit-related audience.  

October the 3rd - 7pm Onwards - An Evening With Amy Singer - All About Knitty.

  • This is the thing that I'm most excited about actually because it's the thing that most of you will be able to come to. Amy's giving a talk on how she started Knitty and what it's like to be in the business now. There'll be a question and answer session afterwards too. The doors will open at 6pm and there'll be a bar so we can enjoy a glass of wine whilst listening to this fascinating woman. I suspect we'll head over to a pub afterwards too - that's the Knit Nottingham way... 
October the 4th - 10am-1pm - Tuscany Shawl - Making Lace Friendly.

  • The perfect lesson for you if you want to start making your lace journey (or if you've already started and keep stalling). You'll discuss the process of making a lace shawl from start to finish including blocking. Please be aware that we don't have the right yarn for you (we don't stock silk) but there are plenty of places that do, ask if you want pointing in the right direction. You'll also need the book (I'll check and come back as to whether it's in the library for you). 
October the 4th - 2pm-5pm - Autopilot Socks.

  • This is a lesson for people that are already pretty happy with socks - so if you've been on one of my sock lessons you should be good to go. We do have the yarn for this and I love love love love love selling sock yarn so come here and we can have a big talk about it (I promise, if you start me getting excited about sock yarn you won't regret it). The idea is that you leave the lesson with a guide in your head for making socks so that you don't have to follow a pattern word for word, it can be something you pick up and put down with ease.  
October the 5th - 10am-4pm - Plug + Play - Textured Shawl Design.

  • A brill lesson for people who haven't quite hit the stage of sending patterns off to Knitty.com but maybe want to start thinking about working things out for yourself. Amy will talk you through those basics including different shapes, why they're useful and how to achieve them as well as more designerly things like photography and intellectual property. Should be a proper roller coaster of a lesson!
October the 6th - 10am-1pm Drop Spindling Silk.

  • So, I forgot to put this on the blog and facebook group when I was asking what you might be interested in but I've decided to put it on anyway because I get so much interest in spinning lessons here. Now, Amy's allergic to wool so she ended up spindling silk before anything else and it does have a tricky reputation as a spinning material which is why the class is focused on silk only. By the end of the lesson though you'll be well versed in the techniques for general spinning AND the cost includes a kit that'll take you through the whole of the session and leave you with some leftovers to spin with at home so you're not stuck with an obsession that you can't fulfill! I'm dead excited about this lesson myself - I'll be creeping into the back of the hall no doubt...

Right, now that's out of the way I want to talk more about how it all came about. I've talked about how she e-mailed us out of the blue and how I chose the venue. 

The venue ain't cheap though! It's around £150 a day so we've had to include that in the price and we're paying a share towards getting Amy over here and putting her up whilst she's here. And I think we're going to get some tickets printed because that's the professional thing to do... And obviously, we need to make some money for the new shop which is where all of the proceeds from these lessons are going. We've kept the prices in line with what other people are doing them for though so you're not paying over the odds but you are supporting us! Isn't this exciting!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

We're also going to be selling the tickets to the Evening With Amy Singer through Knitworking in Gedling and Yarn in Beeston and I've just spoken to the lovely Alison at Yarn and if you do want a yarn with silk for the Tuscany Shawl then she has the appropriate stuff for you. :)

Right, I'm off to write a press release, design the tickets and some posters and then tidy the shop which looks a lot like this: 


Also, before I go, last night I started a Christmas present. Stick that in your pipe an smoke it. I am on fire!

Love Eleanor. x

No comments:

Post a Comment