Saturday 30 April 2011

stitchin and knittin

As many people know, I am really a spinner more than a knitter and as a result I occasionally have spinning disasters as well as knitting ones. This yarn is hand dyed, hand spun super wash merino, love the colours but not so keen on the feel of it so seemed an ideal candidate for a bit of experimentation.

I've always had a fear of DPN's mainly as a result of trying to knit a pair of wrist warmers and constantly taking out the wrong needle so I cast on a few stitches and knitted until I had the rhythm.
Brilliant except that it left me with a tube of rough knitting!!! so I cast off, washed in hot water and tried to felt it BIG mistake, super wash doesn't felt( I forgot) so I dried it off using a rough towel  which softened the knitting giving it a slightly worn appearance.
Waht to do next? well I machine stitched two lines and cut the tube open. That seemed to work ok :-)


blog 2091
So I cut it in half again, and fished out my embroidery threads, adding a few simple stitches and backing the knitting with fuseable quilting wadding. I ended up with a phone sock for my new phone.

Interesting experiment, knitting technique nailed, inspiration gained for further projects and some unpromising  handspun used up.

blog 2095

blog 2103

No comments:

Post a Comment